It’s a snow day here in North Carolina, which means great excitement and much cocooning. Once you’ve ventured out to get your bread and milk, chances are good that you’re burrowing in, not to emerge until the snow has melted (which, fortunately, doesn’t take too long around here).
We have more snow-day entertainment options than ever these days—a paralyzing array of options. Rather than endlessly scrolling through your Netflix suggestions in a state of indecision, why not pick something from this list inspired by Shakespeare and STS’s current season?
Increase your Shakespeare knowledge with some nonfiction viewing:
- Shakespeare: The Legacy (Netflix)
- Cracking the Shakespeare Code (Amazon Prime)
- Shakespeare’s Stratford-Upon-Avon (Amazon Prime)
- Shakespeare’s Tomb (Amazon Prime)
The Bard Himself
Plays for days:
- Much Ado About Nothing (Hulu)
- The Tempest (Amazon Prime)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Amazon Prime)
- So many more plays—there’s a ton of Shakespeare on Amazon Prime.
Have you heard we’re doing a musical? In honor of Songs For a New World, here are a few:
- The Last Five Years, by Jason Robert Brown, SFANW’s composer (Netflix)
- Shrek the Musical (Netflix)
- Newsies (Netflix)
- Rent (Netflix)
Indulge your inner Anglophile:
- The Crown (Netflix)
- Bridget Jones’s Diary (Netflix)
- North and South (Netflix)
The classic stories told in new ways:
- Blast of Tempest (Hulu)
- Hamlet’s Ghost (Hulu)
Pop in your earbuds for more on Shakespeare, Jason Robert Brown, and Charlotte Brontë:
- 54 Below, Episode 18: Jason Robert Brown
- The Dead Authors, Chapter 23: Charlotte Brontë
- Folger Library podcasts and recordings
This should definitely be enough for a lovely indoor snow day. However, if you venture outside and need to warm up, have some chacolet, a hot chocolate from Shakespeare’s day.
One more thing you can do to stave off cabin fever: make plans to get out once we’re back to our usual balmy January temperatures. Get tickets for Songs For a New World at http://www.sweetteashakespeare.com/tickets/. We’ll see you soon!